NEWFANE, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Niagara County Section of Health and fitness has verified a third rabid raccoon in Newfane this spring.
According to wellbeing officers, a dog experienced prospective make contact with with a rabid raccoon on Corbin Avenue in Newfane on Wednesday.
The caretaker for the dog then killed the raccoon.
Well being officials submitted the pet dog for rabies tests to the New York State Division of Health’s Wadsworth Heart, Griffin Laboratory in Albany for screening.
The wellbeing division states the canine did not have up-to-day rabies vaccinations and will receive a booster shot and should quarantine for 6 months, in addition to obtaining month-to-month wellbeing checks from NCDOH in the course of this interval.
The wellbeing section is reminding Niagara County inhabitants of the pursuing
- Do not feed, touch or adopt wild animals, stray pet dogs or feral cats.
- Be certain your pet dogs and cats are up to day on their rabies vaccinations. Vaccinated pets serve as a buffer concerning rabidwildlife and humans. Protect pets with rabies vaccination to reduce your hazard of exposure to rabies. Canine and cats thatreceive their initially rabies vaccine are shielded for a a single-yr period. A pet or cat’s second and subsequent vaccinationwill secure from rabies for up to a few many years. Pets also younger to be vaccinated should really be stored indoors. By legislation, allcats, pet dogs, and ferrets should have latest rabies vaccinations from four months of age and on. The Niagara CountyDepartment of Overall health conducts totally free rabies clinics, and will post all those dates on our website the moment all arrangements areconfirmed.
- Continue to keep family animals indoors at night time. Do not depart them outside unattended or let them roam absolutely free.
- Never entice wild animals to your property or lawn. Preserve your property cost-free of saved chook seed or other foods whichmay entice wild animals. Feed animals indoors. Tightly deal with, or place absent rubbish cans. Board up any openings to yourattic, basement, porch or garage. Cap your chimney with screens.
- Encourage kids to promptly notify grownups if they are bitten by any animals. Explain to small children not to contact any animalsthey do not know.
- If a wild animal is on your property, let it wander absent. Provide little ones and pets indoors and warn neighbors that areoutside. You might speak to a nuisance wildlife control officer who will take away the animal for a fee or if there is threat,you can simply call your community legislation enforcement agency.
- If your pet has been in a battle with a further animal, use gloves to manage it. Isolate it from other animals and peoplefor several hours. Contact your veterinarian. Your vaccinated pet will need to have a booster dose of rabies vaccine inside fivedays of the publicity. Unvaccinated animals uncovered to a acknowledged or suspected rabid animal have to be confined for sixmonths or humanely euthanized.
You really should report all animal bites or call with wild animals to the Niagara County Division of Health Environmental Division at (716) 439-7444.